Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Quick Little Dinner

Ok, we decided that we've had just about enough turkey for a little while.  Well...actually it was my idea, and I really love turkey, but...well, it's time for something else!  So last night I whipped up a little home made Chinese!  Mm-mmm.

It's my Pork Fried Rice, and my guys really love pigging out on it, so I have to make a huge batch for them.  Well, alright, I'll be honest here...all three of us love pigging out!  This is easy to make, goes together pretty fast, and it's to die for!

Sometimes I cook a bunch of pork chops on the grill and freeze them so I can use that meat for future meals. When I cook ahead like this, I usually cook the pork until there is just a tiny bit of pink left in the center; that way it won't be over-cooked or dried out when I use in the future.  It's a great time-saver and adds a wonderful flavor to your dishes.  That's what I used here.


Pork Fried Rice
4 tbsp. oil (peanut, sesame, or your choice)
3/4 lb. pork, diced
6 c. cooked rice
5 scallions, chopped
1/2 lb. baby carrots split into fourths
1/2 lb. tiny broccoli florets OR 1/2 lb. snow peas
1 tbsp. chopped fresh ginger
crushed peppercorns
4 tbsp. soy sauce
sesame seeds
3 eggs, beaten (optional)

Get all of your ingredients prepared, within reach of your stove.  Heat the oil until it's nearly sizzling and add the diced pork.  Cook until no longer pink.  Stir the rice, scallions, carrots, and broccoli into the wok until well heated.  Add ginger, pepper and soy sauce.  If using eggs, make an indentation in the top of your mixture and pour the eggs into it.

Stir fry 4 minutes in a hot wok, or until it's cooked to your preference.  Serve immediately with a sprinkling of sesame seeds over the top.

Really, you can use so many different types of vegetables in this meal.  The ones I listed are what I almost always tend to have on hand, so I chose these ingredients for supper last night.  You could certainly use bean sprouts, celery, or peppers.  Just be creative and have fun with it!

And remember...
only 24 shopping days till Christmas!

3 comments:

Callie Brady said...

I love chinese and your recipe looks very good. Kinda scary... only 24 days until Christmas. I'm not ready!

Diana said...

Thanks, let me know if you make it, and how it turns out. I'm not ready for Christmas yet either! Yeah it's kinda scary.

Andora said...

I love chinese..and this sounds and looks sooo good..I will give it a try...And I aint ready for the big day either...But it will all fall into place..